I think the best part of this party was the food. It was a lot of fun coming up with dinosaur themed food. Everyone helped in coming up with the ideas. But I had final say, because the one thing I try to make sure is that almost EVERYTHING can be done in advance.
The food labels were more of the dinosaurs from the Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge. I used some brown and blue glimer mist to make the eggs speckled and some red stickles to make the lava.
I try to make sure that we always have lots of fruit, veggies and cheese for appetizers. That way I know the kids will have things to eat even if they won’t eat dinner. Plus the dip, veggies, deviled eggs, and fruit salad could all be made the day before. The only thing that I did the day of the party for appetizers was carve the T-rex head and make the palm tree from a green pepper, carrot and 1/2 a potato.
- Coprolite (Fossilized Dinosaur Poop) – Black Olives
- Dinosaur Bones – Stick pretzels
- Dinosaur Claws – Bugles
- Carnivore Cravings – Cheese & Sausage tray
- Herbivore Heaven – Veggie & Dip
- Prehistoric Eggs – Deviled Eggs
- Dino Head – Carved Watermelon with fruit salad
- Pterodactyl Ptea – Iced Tea
- Swamp Water – Punch
- Lemon Juiceratops – Lemonade
BBQ ribs are one of Miss M’s favorite things to eat (mine too), plus with the dino theme it seemed like a no brainer. But I know lots of kids won’t eat them which is why I also did chicken wings. The ribs and wings were cooked in the oven the day before, and Mr Steam just finished them off on the grill the day of the party. The potato casserole was assembled the day before and baked at the time of the party. I cheated on the cole slaw and got that from the deli. I don’t what my problem is, I can cook almost anything, but I have yet to make cole slaw that I like.
- Brontosaurs Ribs (yea, yea I know there is no such thing, but it’s a hold over from my Fred Flinstone watching childhood) – Baby back ribs
- Pteriyaki Pterodactyl Wings – Teriyaki chicken wings
- Le Brea Tar Pit Beans – Baked beans
- Tasty Triasic Cheesy Potatoes – Cheesy potato casserole
- Cretaceious Cruciferous Salad – Cole Slaw
- Lava Pools – Raspberry jello
There were so many great ideas for dinosaur themed cupcakes it was really hard to pick one. So, I picked two. It worked out for the best anyway, because Ms M loves chocolate frosting and N will NOT eat it.
Cupcake 1: Volcanoes
I used red candy melts to make the erupting lava, and then red gel frosting to make the lava flow.
I purchased speckled malted milk balls at Easter for the dinosaur eggs. Then used green butter cream frosting with a grass tip to make the nests. Then little dinosaurs finished off the cupcake.
Other dino party posts: