So remember that Pie Challenge I gave my self last month? Well I have been plugging away. And yep I am now up to Pie #22! How, did I get to 22? Well easy, sorta. I counted all the pies I have already made. Which included the 9 pies I made for this year’s pie day:
- Broccoli and cheese quiche
- Ham and cheese quiche
- Banana cream pie
- Mini ice cream pies
- Raspberry pie (my fav, or at least it was more on that another day)
- Chicken pot pie
- Spinach pie
Then of course there was the pie that inspired the challenge:
10. Lemon meringue pie
The next week I made another pie. It’s one of my staples, but this one didn’t turn out well either. Huh. Hopefully this wasn’t an indication of how the rest of the challenge would go.
11. Blueberry pie
Luckily my next few pies were DELISH!!!! I needed to catch up I was several pies behind to make it to 52 by the end of the year. So I made 4 pies. Hey, I had to cook for the week, I may as well make pie!
- Spaghetti and Meatball pie. I am not a fan of baked pasta, but this recipe was A WINNER! It stayed moist and didn’t dry out even as left overs. I think it was the cream cheese. I cheated and used store bought meatballs and it was still major awesome. We will for sure be making this recipe again.
- Shepard’s Pie. This was was also incredible. I wasn’t sure that Mr Steam would like the cauliflower / potato mash, but he really liked it. I am not a fan of Shepard’s pies, but I LOVED this one. And I think it was because of the cauliflower mash.
- Mini hash brown quiches. These were so horrid I didn’t even eat them. They wouldn’t come out of the muffin tin and were bland as all get out. However, Mr. Steam loved them and ate them all. Go figure.
- Chocolate covered strawberry pie!
Oh yea chocolate and strawberries! The mini Steam’s and I had just gone to our favorite store to buy some fruit and cheese. The store is locally owned and they put out many of fruits and cheese for you to sample. I love it because you get to try new fruits and cheeses without committing to a large purchase. The kids love it because I let them pick out what we get and the get to sample EVERYTHING. What’s not to love?!
We had just gotten some AHHHHHH-MAZ-ING strawberries. So I went looking for some strawberry pie recipies. When I came across this one I knew I had to make it.
I cheated and used a store bought chocolate crust. Here’s the strawberries waiting for their chocolate covering.
After adding the chocolate and whip cream. Ms. M took one look at the pie and asked “When are we going to eat THIS?!” I think the pie should be renamed to “when are we going to eat this pie!” Don’t you?!
One modification from the recipe that I would recommend would be to cut the strawberries smaller. It looked really pretty but it was a bit hard to eat.
This one is definitely a keeper!
Tomorrow Pie no. 16 – My NEW FAVORITE!!!!!!