So I can’t remember how it came about, but Mr. Steam suggested that I make a lemon meringue pie. And being that…
- I LOVE lemon meringue pie and
- I am almost always up for a culinary challenge
I said SURE!!!!! I knew that lemon meringue pie could be a little challenging. So I did a bunch of research on line for different methods and recipes.
I settled on using Alton Brown’s recipe on Food Network. I had remembered watching his show and him going through the science of both the lemon custard and the meringue. The viedo was even attached to the recipe! Yeah!
A while later, THIS came out of the oven.
Two most beautiful pies!!!! Now I just had to wait for them to cool off to see if I had pie or soup.
Alas, after dinner when the pie was served, we had lemon soup. Mr. Steam and I still enjoyed it. And declared that a do-over was REQUIRED!!!!
And don’t ask my why. But this semi-failed attempt at a lemon meringue pie inspired me to try and make a pie a week this year. (I know completely logical right?) But no, not a pie a week for the rest of the year. No, that would be too easy. 52 pies this year.
Yep. I am a nut.
But, I did grant myself some gimme’s.
- Savory pies (chicken pot, etc) count!
- It can be a pie I have made before. It doesn’t have to be a new to me recipe.
- The pies I already made this year also count (HA! Remember the 9 pies I made for pie day?!)
- Tarts count!
- If it has pie in the name it counts!
Now lets see if I can pull this pie challenge off!!!!