Triple Quilting Challenge – Part 5 Painting

So far, so good. Most of the motifs were on the quilt. Now it was time to start adding some paint. I still needed to finish the rainbow variegated feathers on the outside borders. But I wanted to paint the flowers and stems to make it easier to see them and not sew over them.

Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.com
Ok, really it was way more because I wanted to start PAINTING! How cool. Painting on a quilt! I figured that it would be easiest to start with the greens. After all there were more stems than anything else. And I already knew they were going to be green. I only have two of the three greens in the Lumiere line: Pearlescent Emerald and Metallic Olive Green. I started with the Metallic Olive Green and LOVED it. The paint has different effects depending on the angle you look at it and the angle the light hits it. Its some olive, some gold, some silver. It’s really hard to see in the picture. If you click on it to make it bigger you can see it better, but you still don’t get the full effect.

Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.comI was worried that if I painted all the stems, leaves and tendrils the same color green that it was going to be overwhelming on the quilt. So I used the Pearlescent Emerald for the stems. For the tendrils I mixed the Pearlescent Emerald with some of the Pearlescent White to get a lighter shade of the green. Here is the quilt with almost all of the green painted. I still have some of the top leaves and tendrils. I have pearl head pins stuck in the tendrils that are left so that I don’t forget them.

Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.comNext up were the flowers. This was harder. Should I used only one color? Two colors? Four colors? Random colors? Before I decided I thought it would help to look at some samples. So I took some scraps and glued them to a piece of paper. I pained each of the colors and as I painted them I wrote down the color and the paint number. The top strip was left so that I could try out mixed colors.

Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.comI decided I really wanted to do 4 different color flowers to pull out the rainbow effects of the feathers. I picked one of the gold / yellows and painted all the flower centers.

For sure there was going to be red (Metallic Russet), blue (Pearlescent Blue), purple(Pearlescent Violet), but there wasn’t a good options for a 4th color. So, I did what I always do, start with what I know and let my brain stew on the thought for a while. So I got started on the blue and red flowers.
Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.com
It doesn’t take much paint. That little drop was enough to do two whole flowers. But the paint dries SUPER fast. I had to work quickly or the brush got crunchy with dried paint. And I tried to not put more paint than that little drop so it woulnd’t dry out.

Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.comI decided that I didn’t want pink or lavender. I didn’t want to go into pastels, I wanted to keep the colors bright and vivid. So that pretty much left orange. Unfortunately, there was no good orange. The oranges that I did have were too close to the red.

These paints are VERY opaque, and dry SUPER fast, so they don’t blend well on the fabric. So my only option for orange was to mix it. It took about six tries to get and orange that I was happy with. It took mixing 5 colors to get it. Why not just use the red and yellow on the right? Because they are designed for white fabric and don’t show up on the brown. So I used them to get the orange color, but had to use the metallic and pearl paints to get the opaqueness.

Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.comSo the only problem was, I would NEVER be able to get a second mixed batch to match. So I had to do all the orange flowers at one time and hope that I had enough paint to get them all done. Thankfully, I had JUST enough.

It took me about a week to get the whole thing painted. I was only able to grab 20 min here, 1 hr there. But, all the painting is done. I am SUPER excited about how it turned out.

Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.com
Here’s a detail of the flowers. This is the only time I was able to get the purple to look purple.
Whole Cloth Challenge - NotYourNormalSteam.wordpress.com Now I can finish the rainbow feathers. Then get started on the fills. Gulp.

Whole Cloth Quilt Design Process:

Advertisements

About NotYourNormalSteam

I love to make things, food, paper, fabric, the medium doesn’t really matter. I am also an obsessive planner. The day after Christmas I am already working out plans for the next year.
This entry was posted in Quintisential Quilting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s