I am always on the look out for new recipes. And if I can make them ahead even better! I had been seeing lots of pins for stuffed onions, and they intrigued me. This seemed like the perfect time to try it.
- 6-8 medium onions
- 2 stalks celery minced
- 1/2 package frozen spinach thawed and drained
- 2 c seasoned stuffing bread cubes – or toasted /stale bread cubes
- 1 c chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Cut the top and bottom off the onion and peel off the skin.
- Put the onions in a pie plate and put 1/2 water in the pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 min
- While the onions are baking saute the celery in some butter or olive oil. When the celery has softened add the spinach and cook for 1 – 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- When the onions are done baking uncover them and drain the water.
- Once they are cool pull out the inside of the onion. Leave just the outer 2-3 layers. I moved mine from the pie plate to a cast iron skillet because I planned on finishing them on the grill.
- Mince up the onion cores
- Mix the onion, celery, bread cubes and chicken stock
- Stuff the onions until they are mounded. I still had a bunch of left over stuffing because one of my onions wouldn’t fit in the cast iron pan, so I filled in all the holes between the onions with the stuffing.
- Bake stuffed onions uncovered for about 25 minutes.