The final part to our Greek dinner is Lemon and oregano chicken. This is a favorite at the Steam house.
When I was a kid we had a family friend that we all called Mr. V. Because no one could pronounce his Greek name correctly. He made THE best ever chicken on the grill. I was so flavorful tons of herbs and lemon. But he would NOT share the recipe. And he always made sure to make the marinade at home so we couldn’t even watch him make it.
After years of trying I have finally gotten close.
- 2 lemons juiced (1/2 lemon juice)
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 t dried oregano
- 2 t dried parsley
- 1 t dried basil
- 1/2 t thyme
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t fresh ground pepper
- 1 chicken cut up or 4 chicken breasts bone in, skin on
- Thoroughly mix of all the ingredients except the chicken and split between 2 gallon zip top bags.
- Put split the chicken between the two bags.
- Put the bags in a dish (the dish will catch any juices in case the bones poke a hole in the bag) and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Either grill the chicken until the internal temperature is 165. Or bake in a 350 deg F oven for about 45 min until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165.