With how crazy busy our weekend was I didn’t have time for the 1/2 day worth of cooking that I usually do. I had to cram a weeks worth of cooking into about 2 hrs.
In the last post I shared with you the chicken alfredo bake that was inspired by M’s request for something with noodles.
Well N wanted something tacos. But I really dislike tacos during the week there are so many different components to get ready and get to the table. I really wanted to make some kind of casserole.
I have seen different casseroles with meat, beans and corn with a corn bread topping. But would I be able to get N to eat it?
So showed N a picture of a recipe I found that was close. He thought it looked great. So game on!!!
- 1 large onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 can chili beans
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 lb ground chuck
- 1/2 c (or 2 packets) taco seasoning
- 2 c cheddar cheese grated
- 2 boxes Jiffy corn bread mix
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 c milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F
- Dice the onion and green pepper.
- In a large skillet saute the onion and green pepper in some olive oil until the onion is translucent.
- Place the onion and peppers in a LARGE mixing bowl along with the corn, tomatoes, and chili beans.
- In the same skillet, brown the ground beef.
- Drain the beef.
- Add the taco seasoning and 1 1/2 c water. Simmer until most of the water has evaporated about 5 min.
- Add the taco meat to the bowl with the veggies and mix.
- Pour the meat and veggie mixture into a 9 x 13 pan, or divide it between 2 8×8 pans
- Top the meat mixture with the cheese.
- Mix the jiffy corn bread mix with the egg and milk.
- Pour the corn bread mix over the meat and cheese mixture. Make sure it is spread out to all the edges.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the corn bread is cooked.