So now that I have given you a whole mess of soup recipes, I have to confess. I don’t like soup. Yep. Not a fan. A few years ago my mom suggested we go to a new to me restaurant.
Me: What kind of food do they have?
Me: (sporting a you must be crazy lady look) Soup? I don’t like soup.
Mom: Trust me.
And yes, my mom also warned me about people who say trust me. But in this case it WAS my mom, so I trusted her. And boy was I glad. The restaurant has a soup bar with between 4-6 soups every day. All of their soups are amazing. But my FAVORITE is their spicy tomato dill. This is my adaptation.
- 1 c butter
- 2 medium onions diced (2 c)
- 4 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 c flour
- 6 c chicken stock
- 1/2 c honey or agave
- 2 28 oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomoato
- 1 t fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 t salt
- 6 dashes Tabasco (double if only making spicy tomato dill)
- 1 1/2 T dill weed (double if only making spicy tomato dill)
- 1/8 t red pepper flakes (double if only making spicy tomato dill)
- 1 t chili powder (double if only making spicy tomato dill)
- 1/2 t basil (double if only making spicy tomato dill)
- Melt the butter in a large stock pot
- Saute onions until soft about 5-10 minutes. You don’t want any color on the onions.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Just until you can smell the garlic.
- Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Add 2 c of the chicken stock slowly whisking the whole time to prevent lumps.
- Add the remaining stock, honey, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling I split it in 1/2. One half I leave as is. This is the mock cream of tomato. Mock because there is no cream, but the roux (butter / flour) gives is a nice texture and flavor like a cream soup.
- To the 2nd half of the soup add the Tabasco, dill, red pepper flakes, chili powder and basil. If you don’t split the soup double the amount of these ingredients.
- Simmer both soups for about 20 minutes.
Serve and enjoy. This soup is very hearty. N loves his with a grilled cheese sandwich. I love mine all by itself.