My kids are at the age where the love to pretend. Dressing up just adds to the fun. So I really love to make costumes as party favors. And it may surprise you that the cost of the total favor is under $5!
Favor Bag: Embellished with card stock from my stash. The jolly roger was cut with my Cricut using the Paper Doll Dress up cartridge.
Candy: I don’t usually put candy in the favor bags, but I couldn’t resist this time. Each kid got a few Hershey Nuggets and a ring pop.
Pirate Name Badge:
Each kid got a personalized name badge. I found some great pirate names on line and used their pictures from play dates. I used thermal laminating name badge holders. You don’t need a laminating machine for this, you can actually use your iron as long as you use a pressing sheet. And they were hung from some plastic beads.
There were 4 parts to the costume.
- Sash – made from satin like material I found in the clearance bin
- Pirate beard – faux fur with a felt lining and elastic band
- Eye patch – I cheated and bought these. Hey, they were in the clearance bin and were $1 for 4 of them! How could I pass that up? However, they would be very easy to make from some felt and elastic.
- Pirate hat – made with black and white felt. You will have to buy felt by the yard, the craft sheets won’t be wide enough to make a hat.
Favors were made for 11 kids. I made two trips to Joann and used my 40% off coupon on each trip, one for the faux fur and one for the black felt.
- Fur, Stain & Elastic – Joann – $18.93 total – $1.72 per child
- Felt (black and white) – Joann – $11.00 total – $1.00 per child
- Eye patch – Target – $3 for 12 – $0.25 per child
- Favor bag – Dollar Tree – 2 for $1 – $0.50 per child
- Ring pop – Dollar Tree – 4 for $1 – $0.25 per child
- Beads – Dollar Tree – 8 for $1 – $0.13 per child
- Laminate name badge – Staples – 25 for $6 – $0.24 per child
TOTAL = $4.42 per child
And bonus they get to go home with their own pirate costume to dress up and play pretend!!!
There are tons of tutorials out there for these items, but these are the tutorials that I used:
Pirate Party Links: