Mom used to always make us taco omelets. The best was when she would make them in the camper. My sister and I would be sleeping in the bunk over the cab, she would lite the gas lamp over the kitchen area, and then there would be the smell. The smell of eggs and taco meat. There was NOTHING better than that smell. Those were the BEST mornings in the camper.
Even if I am not in the camper, you can’t beat a taco omelet for breakfast. Especially with some toast. And don’t tell but sometimes I even have this for dinner.
Ok I know it may sound weird, but seriously it is wonderful. Here’s how I make them.
Gather all your ingredients. This time all I had was taco meat, salsa and cheese. But I also like to add diced onion, diced red pepper, sliced olives, basically what ever you put in your tacos. I usually make 2 egg omelets.
Crack your eggs into a bowl and scramble them. Pour them into a buttered pan over medium to medium low heat. Let the eggs set up a little bit and then pull the edge back with a spatula and tilt the pan to let the un-cooked egg pour to the edge. Continue this around all the sides. Keep doing this until the eggs are almost set up.
To me food is all about the memories. And this is how I remember some of my favorite breakfasts with the family either in the camper or at home.
Let me know if you try this recipe, or if you have recipes that remind you of especially happy times.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3-ish cup of taco meat
- 1/3 ish cup of shredded cheese
- 1-2 T salsa
- 1 -2 T diced onion (optional)
- 1 -2 T diced red pepper (optional)
- 1 -2 T sliced black olives (optional)
- Crack your eggs into a bowl and scramble them.
- Pour the eggs into a buttered pan over medium to medium low heat.
- Let the eggs set up a little bit and then pull the edge back with a spatula and tilt the pan to let the un-cooked egg pour to the edge. Continue this around all the sides. Keep doing this until the eggs are almost set up. Add salt & pepper if desired.
- Heat up your taco meat in the microwave
- Add your taco meat to one half of the omelet.
- Add the cheese on top of the taco meat.
- Add your other toppings.
- Fold your omelet over and cover. Heat through until the cheese is melted.
- Slide the omelet out on to your plate and enjoy.