So you say you have a baby on your Christmas list but you don’t have any ideas what to make. Well let me see if I can help you. Here are some gifts that I have made for the different babies in my life.
1) Taggies are all the rage right now. So why not make your own? I got a fabric book pattern at my local quilt shop and to make it a little more interesting to my son I added some satin ribbon tags.
2) Texture blankets are great for the little bitty babies. I used scraps of various different fabric I had around: minky, flannel, corduroy, terry cloth, faux suede, velvet, and satin. For a little extra interest I sewed in a mylar balloon. It adds a great crinkle sound. You could also add tags to these. But I thought the textures and crinkle were enough.
4) A gift that may not be so much for the baby, but the mom will sure appreciate. A snack bag. I made mine out of quilting cotton. I did not put any water proofing on it as I couldn’t find anything that was food safe. So we use it for dry snacks. We LOVE them and use them all the time. When they get a little crumby they can just be thrown in the wash. I am not embarassed to admit that we have 6 (OK, so I am a little embarrassed. But they are so cute.)
5) How about hair bows and a hair bow organizer. I made a ton of hair bows for M. There are tons of great tutorials out there. But I didn’t have anywhere to store them. So I also made the hair bow organizer. The bucket came from the dollar bin at Target. The flowers are wood disks I got at my craft store and painted. Then I hot glued the flowers to some painted dowel rod. I put some green floral foam in the bucket and stuck in the dowel rods. The bucket sits on a shelf and I can easily get to M’s bows while I am getting her dressed.
Hopefully this gave you some ideas of what you might be able to make for that baby on your list. Here are the sites where I got the instructions for the items I made.
- Snack Bags – Pink Penguin
- Six Pocket Bag
- Toddler purse – Getting Crafty
- Toddler purse – If I can do it, You can do it