Most weeks I cook on Sunday and make 3 different meals that we eat for lunch and dinner throughout the week. But sometimes midweek
the kids I need a break. But since we get home around 5:45 and M’s bedtime is 7, that doesn’t leave much time to eat let alone cook!
Eggs and chorizo are the PERFECT midweek meal.
- You need one pan, and one spatula – that’s it (ok so the plates you eat on too)!
- There are 3 ingredients
- It takes less than 15 min INCLUDING prep!!
But most importantly, both kids DEVOUR it. Seriously if I only use 12 eggs there will be less than 2 eggs worth left over.
I KNOW you want to make some, so let’s get started.
First there are as few as 3 ingredients – eggs, MEXICAN chorizo, and tortillas. Mexican chorizo comes in a plastic casing and crumbles like ground beef. Spanish chorizo is cured and can be sliced like salami. You need to use Mexican chorizo for this recipe. The packages come with 2 links you will only need 1.
You can add other stuff like peppers, onions, cheese what ever you like. But my kids like it best with just the eggs and sausage.
First you cook the sausage. Break it up with your spatula and cook until it looks like this. I prefer to cook this in a non-stick pan otherwise the cleaning up the eggs is a nightmare.
Then push the sausage to the side of the pan. Break all 12 eggs into the pan. Break the yolks with your spatula and add salt and pepper.
Scramble the eggs being careful to leave the sausage on the side of the pan.
Once the eggs are cooked but still very wet (see below) mix in the sausage.
They will look like this. If you are going to add cheese or herbs now would be a good time. Finish cooking the eggs to your preference. Hubs cooks them until the are ROCKS I like mine just a little wet.
I prefer mine in corn tortillas. I had some wonderful homemade green tomato salsa from a good friend that I added. YUMMO!
I think the kids enthusiasm for this meal is the best endorsement. Both of them will jump up and down yelling if I announce we are having this. And they will both have at LEAST two servings.
- 12 eggs (I use 18 when I want it to last 2 meals for the kids)
- 1 link Mexican style chorizo sausage
- Salt & pepper
- Tortillas – your choice corn or flour. My kids and I are tortilla snobs and only eat corn.
- Minced onion (optional)
- Minced jalapeno or sweet pepper (optional)
- Garnishes – cheese, cilantro, salsa (0ptional)
- If you are using the onion and/or the peppers, saute them in a non stick pan until soft. Push to the side of the pan.
- Cook up the sausage.
- When the sausage is cooked thru, push the sausage to the side of the pan and break all the eggs into the pan.
- Break the eggs with the side of your spatula and add the salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook the eggs until they are just wet. Mix in the sausage and veggie mixture into the eggs. Finish cooking the eggs to your preferred level of doneness.
- Serve on warmed tortillas with your choice of garnish.