For the last 18 year (yikes I can’t be old enough to say that!) I have hosted a pumpkin carving party. As I am getting geared up for this years party I can’t help but think how much fun last year’s party was.
I love throwing pumpkin carving parties because the party activity is built in! So all I have to do is put up some decorations, get some spooky grub, and have fun!
The appetizers were so much fun to put together. And were really a hit with the kids. The hot dog mummies were gone in no time. And the poor veggie skeleton was soon missing significant portions of himself!
- 7 Layer Spiderweb dip – This was super easy. I made regular 7 layer taco dip on a pizza tray with cheese as the top layer. At the last minute I put some sour cream in a zip top bag and snipped off a small corner and pipped on the web. The spiders body is a black olive cut in 1/2 and the legs are olive slices.
- Hot dog mummies – These were full size hot dogs cut in 1/2 wrapped in crescent rolls and cooked like pigs in blanket. I found in the store crescent rolls already in strips instead of triangles, so I didn’t even have to mess with cutting the crescent dough.
- Skeleton veggies and dip – I made up the skeleton from celery, cucumber, radishes, red peppers, carrots and broccoli. His head is the dip in a ramekin (or small bowl) with a red pepper mouth, black olive nose, green olive eyes and broccoli hair. Isn’t he
Of course I didn’t get pictures of this last year dang-nab-it! But it was super yummy and everyone had fun topping their chili with their favorite fixin’s.
- Chili bar (sour cream, cheese, onions, hot sauce) – I made the chili the day before, and since chili is really better the next day, this was perfect. I heated it up and served in a crock pot.
- Corn bread – shhhhh don’t tell. I used a box mix! Hey, I spent all my energy on the apps and the cupcakes. They were worth it!
- Owl cupcakes – Chocolate frosting, Oreos with the tops off, orange M&M for the beak and brown M&M for the eye centers. My owls look pretty wonky. These would work WAY better on flatter cupcakes.
- Spider cupcakes – Chocolate frosting, chocolate sprinkles, M&M eyes, licorice legs. I used a bamboo skewer to poke a hole for the licorice legs. Once I figured that out, those babies went sooooo much faster.
- Tombstone cupcakes – Green frosting, crumbled up oreo dirt (from the owl eyes), chocolate covered graham cracker cookies with frosting pipped RIP. I think they would have looked even better with green coconut grass, but I can’t STAND coconut.
- Vampire cupcakes – green, black & white frosting, M&M eyes.
- Orange punch with eyeball ice cubes – I took radishes mostly peeled them but left a little skin on for blood. I carved out a hole using a paring knife and put in 1/2 a green olive with pimento. I put some water in and froze them. They looked totally cool. But you can see they didn’t really show up well in the orange punch. I think they would have worked better in a clear drink.
- Hot mulled apple cider – Served in our other crock pot. I just pour in apple juice, 1 stick of cinnamon, 4-5 whole cloves, and a star anise if I have one around.
I normally use quilting fabric for table cloths, this is the exception!! I break down and use plastic table cloths. It just makes clean up SOOOOO much easier. We save most of the guts for the compost (black buckets on the table), but what gets missed and the paper shreds from the patterns just get balled up and put in the trash.
Everyone brings their own pumpkin(s) I provide a bunch of patterns, tape and “knives” from Pumpkin Masters. I also have tempra paints, brushes, and large t-shirts for younger kids.
I love how N’s pumpkin is as big as he is!!!
Who doesn’t love getting dressed up? After the kids were all cleaned up we got them all geared up and headed out side for some pictures.
I love how
all the moms decided N and his BFF both decided to be superheros!!! M looks like she is ready to take off an go get the bad guys! LOOK OUT!!
- Cute Food for Kids (seriously AWESOME place for fun food ideas) – Spider cupcakes
- One Charming Party – Owl cupcakes
- Party Frosting – Spider web dip
- Our Best Bites – Mummy Dogs
- Martha Stewart – Radish Ice eyes
- The Sister’s Dish – Veggie Skeleton