Calico beans are VERY popular in our family. They are requested for every potluck. And it’s not surprising as they are very yummy. It kinda makes me sad because I really do enjoy trying new recipes. But I sure don’t complain to loud because they are easy peasy to make!
- 2 large cans of baked beans (I prefer Bush’s original, but feel free to use your fav)
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans – drained and rinsed
- 2 cans butter beans – drained and rinsed. If you can find seasoned or baked butter beans use those but don’t drain and rinse.
- 1 cup katchup
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 c dried minced onions
- 2 t mustard powder
- 1 T apple cider vinegar (any kind is really fine)
Put all ingredients in a large crock pot, stir to combine and cook on low for 4 hrs. See I told you it was easy!!! And I usually just serve it right out of the crock pot.
By the way, this is a double batch, which is what I make if the crowd is 15 or more. If you have a smaller crowd just cut it in 1/2.
A lot of recipes call for bacon and or ground beef. This is almost sacrilege for me, but I find I like them without the meat. I know, crazy, right?! Plus cutting out the meat makes this totally a dump recipe and it make for a good go to recipe when some of my vegetarian friends come over (if you truly want this vegetarian be sure your baked beans aren’t made with bacon).