After a really rough day, oh I don’t know, like TODAY! I really want some comfort food. And its a double win when that comfort food is chock full of veggies that are good for you! Woot woot!!!
- 1 Uncooked pie crust (I used one from the refrigerated section, feel free tomake it from scratch)
- 4 oz goat cheese (herbed or plain)
- 1 medium egg plant sliced about 1/8″ (think slice of cheese)
- 1 medium zucchini siliced about 1/8″
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced about 1/4″ (think 2 slices of cheese)
- 1/4 to 1/2c grated Parmesan
- Salt &pepper (S&P)
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano (not needed if use herbed goat cheese)
- 1/2teaspoon dried basil (not needed if use herbed goat cheese)
- 1/2teaspoon dried parsley (not needed if use herbed goat cheese)
1) Preheat oven to 400 deg F
2) Spread egg plant on a cookie sheet. Brush with EVOO on both sides and season with S&P. Roast in oven for about 10-15 min. Keep an eye on it.Light brown is ok, but you don’t want it crunchy!
3) Spread zucchini on a cookie sheet. Brush with EVOO on both sides and season with S&P. Roast in oven for about 10-15 min. Keep an eye on it.Light brown is ok, but you don’t want it crunchy!
4) Spread pie crust in tart pan, cover with foil and add dried beans or pie weights. If you don’t have a tart pan spread it out flat on a cookie sheet and dock it well (in other words poke it with a fork so it looks like a pin cushion) and skip the pie weights. Par bake in oven until light brown for about 10 min. Remove foil & weights
5) While crust is still hot spread goat cheese over the bottom of the crust.Sprinkle with dried herbs if using.
6) Layer the veggies & parm – 1st layer zucchini & eggplant, Sprinkle with parm, 2nd layer tomatoes, sprinkle with parm, 3rd layer zucchini &eggplant, sprinkle with parm, top with any left over tomatoes and parm.
7) Return to oven until cheese is melted about 20 min. You can eat it hot out of the oven or sever it chilled.
And this is the yummi-ness you end up with.
Sorry for the pict of non-yummy cooky sheet. But remember bad day and all? Yea, I needed that tart NOW!!!!
Unfortunately my 2 year old carnivore saw it and declared “I want DAT!” She at 1/2 my serving, so it’s even toddler approved.